about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

printable project: mini book

minibook1

I live in a house of book lovers, and that doesn't mean just the kind you buy. We love making little books for all kinds of purposes, and the other day I made a combination printable and project along these lines. What I love most about this little book is that you can use it in many ways.

The idea started out with a request from a reader. She wanted a little book that she could use to write down kitchen tips and tricks from people in her family. Part recipe book, part family album...I like it!

minibook2

So I set out to make a little booklet that could be typed in...and this one can! The printable pages are set up as a PDF, and the large white spaces can be filled with a little or a lot of text! Then I decided to use a type of binding called "french fold", where the pages are folded in half, with the open edges in the binding. It's always been a favorite style of mine, so here was a place to use it!

Of course, you don't have to use the printable portion...you could just bind some paper together using this method, or go for a combination! I used the printable and went with a title on the cover and blank pages for the rest for my sister to draw in.

Here's what you need:
Mini Book PDF
Felt (2 x 3 inches)
Embroidery floss
Scissors/Paper cutter

Helpful tools:
Needle
Binder clips
Crop-a-dile or 1/8 inch hole punch

minibook3
minibook4

If you're typing in the pages, start with that. Fill in what you need, print the pages, erase text and repeat as needed. Cut out all of the pages, and fold them in half.

Stack the folded pages and wrap the felt piece around the non-folded edge. Use binder clips to hold everything together.

Punch some holes in a zig zag pattern, or in a straight line, or even in two straight lines, depending on how you want to stitch this together. A Crop-a-dile makes punching holes immensely easier, but if you are using a regular hole punch, you'll just need to punch fewer pages at a time, making sure to line up all of the holes.

minibook5

Thread your needle with embroidery floss, and tie a knot at the other end. On the back of the book, bring the thread up through the felt, between two holes. This will secure the floss better.

minibook6

Lace the needle and floss through the holes several times, making a nice little pattern and keeping your book secure. There are lots of ways to do this that will create different designs...play around and see what you like! Secure the floss with a hidden knot on the back.

minibook7
minibook8

Now you've got a little book! And just think of all the ways you could use this!

Share a short story. Keep it handy for jotting down notes. Let your child draw pictures in it. Write some sweet things to your sweetie. Add one spelling word per page. Fill it with scripture verses you are memorizing. Journal a day in your life.

What would you use a mini book for?

minibook9
minibook10

19 comments:

  1. What a great little book! It can be used for so many things! Many Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:46 PM

    That is too cute. I think when I make it I will use double sided tape and make pockets out of some or all of the pages, never know when you want tos ave something to go along with info in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this printable! It's just what I need to make "31 days of prayer for your kids" books for new moms. They could also be made into prayer books for your husband, pastor, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the clean lines and style of these printables! lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just too lovely - thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet! Thank you for the great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great!! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful tutorial!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the Fresh colors. This would be great for a wedding or special day, everyone can ad a page with a personal note at home, and than it can form one book full of loveliness. As a bones you can close one side so you can hide a little surprise inside.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the use of felt to in the binding. This would be fun to do with the kids. Thanks for sharing.

    Vintagehoneybee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a ridiculously adorable idea!! DEFINITELY on my list of things to do!

    http://ewe-knitphomaniac.blogspot.com/

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! I am going to have my kids use them for summer check off lists. One each page we will but something they want to do or accomplish this summer. Then they can use the rest of the page to draw a picture of them doing it when they completed it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just so sweet! I love this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous2:06 AM

    thank you for this post , i like it !

    ReplyDelete
  14. So adorable! I love the look and feel of the booklet. I'm a felt junkie ^^

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous6:59 AM

    Wow, awesome!!!! thanks so much for this!!! i'm thinking of giving it to my mum for mothers day!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can anyone share how to actually type on the PDF template for the easy book using the computer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my. I'm so sorry that the file wasn't working! And thank you for letting me know! I've just uploaded a revised file, so if you download it now it should work. Just open the PDF in Adobe Reader and you should see boxes on the pages that can be filled in.

      Delete
  17. I love this little book, I am going to do a story for one little girl I am sponsoring in India. I just might make more if she like it and of course I am hoping to write it in her language with English below the hers.

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!